Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My Wine History

When I was younger, I always saw my mother pour herself a glass of wine with dinner and other special occasions. Of course, I asked if I could try the wine at a young age, but inevitably I thought that it was disgusting. But when I turned 21, wine was the first type of alcohol that I bought and I have tried to teach myself as much as I can about the product since then.

The first type of wine that I bought and enjoyed was a dessert wine, Moscato. For months I would buy one bottle per week and sip on it each night after dinner. When I moved to Nashville, TN last fall, I lived with a wine connoisseur and she tried to slowly introduce me to more dry types of wine. The first white wine that I enjoyed was Sauvignon Blanc and the first red was Cabernet Sauvignon. I was uncertain as to what the Sauvignon really meant, but that is something that I hope to learn in this class.

I personally still enjoy Moscato wine after a large meal as a substitute for dessert or cookies, but the others I have noticed compliment my dinner much better. I like red wines when I am eating Italian meals and white wines goes well with red meats. However, I do not care for extremely dry wines and I typically will steer clear from those if someone gives me warning.

In this class, I hope to learn more about food pairing. My boyfriend and I both enjoy drinking wine and cooking dinner together at the end of each day and I would like to start choosing more appropriate wines. I do not care much about the regions or history, but I can understand why it is important. However, I like to learn things in my classes that I can put to use in every day situations. I am certainly looking forward to this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment